Eat Healthy, live healthy!
These four words sum up the importance of a healthy diet for a teenage girl.
While growing up, your child depends on you for everything. However, as soon your child steps into teens, things change. Your child is now more independent and will go through a lifestyle change, which includes food habits.
As a parent, it is essential for you to know how essential is a diet plan for a teenage girl in order to monitor her diet.
Why Healthy Eating Is Necessary For Teenage Girls?
Most teen girls are conscious about their weight gain and appearance. Your teenage daughter might lessen her calorie intake to maintain her weight and figure. An ideal weight is, however, the result of obtaining just the right amount of vitamins, calories, minerals and nutrients – neither too much nor too less. But it can be difficult for you to explain this to your teenager.
It is important for you to first understand vital components of your teen girl’s diet plan and their importance. This will help you explain things better to her.
Before you tell her about the dietary habits, here is a chart with proper timings that might come handy when deciding a menu for your teenager girl’s diet.
Use the below diet chart for teenage girl to get an idea about the daily intake of various nutrients depending on your teenage girl’s body weight:
[ Read: Healthy Foods For Teens ]
Tips On A Healthy Diet Plan For Teenage Girl:
If you struggle to decide your teen girl’s diet plan, get confused about what to include and exclude, here is a balanced diet plan that will be great for her!
1. A Complete Healthy Diet:
A healthy diet for teenage girl is a must every day.
- Make sure your teen’s diet includes carbohydrates, proteins and fats in balanced manner.
- You must try and include all of these to your teen girl’s diet every day.
2. Healthy Fats Are Good Fats:
Your teen will be so conscious about her weight that she will shy away from fats.
- While fattening foods are not good for your teen girl’s health, she must know about the concept of healthy fats.
- Healthy fats are needed by the body for healthy hair, nice skin and a well-hydrated body. These fats are necessary to obtain certain portion of calories needed by the body to do daily activities.
- Encourage the consumption of healthy fats and ask your teen to steer clear of trans-fats.
3. Breakfast Is ‘THE’ Meal:
American Academy of Pediatrics’ Committee on Nutrition member Dr. Neville Golden tells US News And World Reports: “If (teens) don’t eat right, they can become irritable, depressed and develop problems such as obesity and eating disorders – and those have a whole host of psychological morbidities.”
Tell your teen girl never to skip her breakfast.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Getting your teen girl to start her day with the right kind of breakfast will kick start her bodily functions too!
- Try and include fresh fruits and proteins in her breakfast. These will keep her full for longer and give her the energy to combat the morning rush.
- Avoid caffeine. Try fresh juices, smoothies, milk shakes or even an occasional cup of tea.
4. Fruits Are Great ‘In-Between’ Snacks:
If your daughter feels hungry between classes or meals, make her reach out for a fruit.
- Fruits are quick to eat and make for a healthy snack option.
- You can also make her have energy bars, but either with no or less sugar content.
- Ask her to avoid candy bars and other snacks that simply pack in calories and offer no goodness.
5. Ideal Time For Snacks:
The best time for snacks is between breakfast and lunch.
- Another good time for snacks is after lunch and before dinner.
- Let your girl know how fruits make for a great ‘in-between’ snack.
6. Experiment With Lunch – With A Twist:
Lunch, once again is an important meal. However, getting your teen girl to eat plain veggies, lentils, salads and chapatti might be difficult.
- Try and use the same ingredients in a different way.
- Make a delicious wrap with all veggies and boiled lentils and salads.
- Add few sauces that your girl enjoys and your scrumptious lunch is ready.
- You can also try various vegetable sandwiches with multi-grain breads.
7. Dinner Should Be kept Light:
Dinner should be with fewer carbohydrates.
- Try and keep dinner light but ensure she doesn’t starve.
- Give her various vegetable or non-vegetarian soups.
- Make her salads with her choice of dressings, multi-grain pasta or even multi-grain noodles. The idea is to combine nutrition with taste.
[ Read: How Many Calories Do Teenagers Need ]
8. Low-Fat Low-Sugar Desserts:
Make different low-fat yogurt desserts.
- Add your girl’s favourite fruits, nuts and crackers to it.
- This can make for a great dessert.
- Always avoid adding sugar.
- You can even try mixed fruit custard.
9. Drinks Lots Of Water:
- This will keep your teen girl’s body well-hydrated and keep those hunger pangs at bay.
- Good amount of water will keep her metabolism rate higher, making her body function better.
According to Jessica Donze-Black, RD, MPH: “It is important to drink plenty of fluids during the day. Exactly how much you need depends on a lot of things. If it is hot or you’re exercising and sweating a lot you’ll need to drink more. If you eat a lot of fruits and vegetables (waterrich foods) you’ll need less.” (1)
10. Avoid Junk:
Any food that offers no nutritional value qualifies as junk food and should be looked upon as trash.
- Our body doesn’t use up the junk food for anything good. It just accumulates and is unproductive, non-nutritional food.
- Educate your teen girl about healthy and unhealthy foods. Don’t let her fall prey to fad diets or come under peer pressure. As a parent, try and help your girl manage her weight in the right way.
Do you follow any special diet plans for teens? Tell us how you help your teen girl plan her diet. Write in to us and share your tips and tricks.
Till then, eat healthy, live healthy!
- 5 Healthy Diet Tips And A Plan For Your Teenage Boy
- A Healthy Food Guide Pyramid For Kids And Teens
- Top 10 Fitness Tips For Your Teenagers
Latest posts by Akruti (see all)
- Bacterial And Fungal Infections In Children - March 2, 2017
- 8 Effective Natural Remedies To Cure Mosquito Bites In Babies - July 23, 2015
- 4 Unexpected Symptoms Of Colon Cancer In Teens - July 20, 2015