Essential oils have several benefits and do loads of good to mankind. Eucalyptus oil, one such essential oil, is known for its powerful antibacterial and antiseptic action. The oil has many healing properties and has been in use as a popular home remedy for thousands of years. It is a natural therapy to treat respiratory problems such as cold, bronchitis, cough, and pneumonia.
You may love to use this natural oil on your baby. But, halt a second! According to Essential Oil Safety Book by Robert Tisserand, eucalyptus is on the list of essential oils to be avoided on children under 10 years of age.
Did we leave you thinking? Then read this post at repertuar.spb.ru to learn everything about eucalyptus oil for babies.
Eucalyptus Oil And Its Components
Eucalyptus oil is an extract from the leaves of the eucalyptus tree. The oil has a composition of more than 100 different compounds. Single distilled eucalyptus oil, which is crude oil, may contain more compounds in different quantities than the double distilled eucalyptus oil, which is rectified. For instance, eucalyptus globulus oil has nearly 60% cineole and 40% other compounds. Following rectification, the oil contains 80% cineole and 20% other compounds.
[ Read: Benefits Of Using Olive Oil For Babies ]
General specifications and limitations of the oil are mentioned below:
Specifications BP: Eucalyptus Oil
|Constituents||Range – Limit|
|a(alpha) – pinene||Trace to 9%|
|b(beta) – pinene||Less than 1.5%|
|a(alpha)- phellandrene||Less than 1.5%|
|d(delta) – limonene||Trace to 12%|
|1,8-cineole||At least 70%|
|Camphor||Less than 0.1%|
|Sabinene||Less than 0.3%|
This medicinal oil is a common home remedy to deal with respiratory and bronchial system disorders. The healing vapors from the leaves of the Australian botanical native have been used for years to provide relief from respiratory problems. The oil mainly works as a coolant. The topical application of eucalyptus oil may improve blood flow and even disinfect the area. Its expectorant quality makes it a wonderful natural remedy for cough and chest congestion.
[ Read: Top 10 Baby Massage Oils ]
Why Can’t You Use Eucalyptus Oil On Babies?
The many health benefits make us wonder why eucalyptus oil is not safe for babies. Read the below reasons to clear your doubts.
- Essential oils like eucalyptus oil have high 1,8-cinoele, which can lead to the problems related to central nervous system and breathing in young children.
- The amount of 1,8-cineole in eucalyptus oil depends on the chemotype or the eucalyptus species.
- Even though a few eucalyptus species may not have much 1,8-cineole, they have other compounds which could be a concern for children.
- This oil is quite strong and has the potential to harm the delicate skin of babies and infants by causing burning sensation and irritation.
- Ingestion may lead to diarrhea, abdominal pain, vomiting, and severe side effects of eucalyptus oil on babies include wheezing and breathing difficulties.
- Eucalyptus oil, applied topically or ingested, may lead to serious problems such as seizures and in extreme cases coma.
- For children, who are ten years or younger, the oil should not be applied near or on the face, especially around the mouth and nose.
- The eucalyptus essential oil should be totally kept away from babies less than two years of age.
[ Read: How To Massage Your Baby ]
Points to Remember:
- In case your baby or infant shows breathing problems, take him to a healthcare provider immediately. Your little one needs prompt attention of a doctor, not the home remedies.
- Ensure that your little one does not ingest the oil. Be even more careful, if there is a family history of asthma. The oil can trigger an asthma attack in your little one.
- It is always good to seek an expert advice before using any oil on babies and infants.
Though the eucalyptus oil is medicinal and is as effective as prescribed or over-the-counter medications, it is not applicable for babies. The application of the oil either directly on the chest or inhalation through a vaporizer, to deal with congestion, is good only for adults and not babies.
Parents may assume that a small amount or diluted amount of this medicinal oil may not be harmful for babies, but they can ingest or inhale enough oil (through a vaporizer or humidifier) for a reaction to occur.
Hope this article helps you understand enough about using eucalyptus oil for babies. Do let us know your views in the comments box below.
- Top 10 Baby Hair Oils That Work Wonders
- 7 Most Helpful Tips To Keep Your Baby’s Skin Healthy
- Is It Safe To Use Almond Oil For Massaging A Baby?
- Incredible Benefits Of Using Coconut Oil For Your Baby
Latest posts by Sumana Maheswari (see all)
- Missing Your Pre-Pregnancy Skin Glow? You Can Get It Back! - September 23, 2016
- 30 Educative And Fun Water Animal Facts For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Triple Screening In Pregnancy - Essential Elements, Process And Accuracy - March 31, 2016